Austin SHRM Members
Want to make an impact in the HR profession and the Austin community?
Desire to grow personally and professionally?
Thank you for your interest in joining the Pinnacle Award-Winning Austin SHRM Board of Directors! We are an all-volunteer group of dynamic HR professionals who are passionate about giving back to the HR community. The combined experience of our current Board members represents over 100 years of experience, spanning across a broad spectrum of backgrounds and industries.
The President, President-Elect and Past President all serve consecutive one-year terms. All other Board members serve two-year terms. The average time commitment is 5-10 hours per month.
General Board Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend monthly Board meetings, typically held the third Tuesday of each month unless otherwise noted.
- Attend Austin SHRM monthly and/or quarterly meetings as required or available.
- Follow and abide by Austin SHRM bylaws, statement of ethics and conflict of interest agreements.
- Agree to follow the duties of your Board position as outlined in your Board position description.
- Be active stewards of the chapter’s fiscal responsibilities to its members.
- Be an active and engaged Board member. This includes being prepared for Board meetings, asking critical questions, and helping the Board come to agreement in making decisions that affect chapter membership.
- Know or build your knowledge about our chapter, SHRM, and its governing bylaws.
- Stay informed of trends in the field of human resources and timely issues affecting our chapter.
- Maintain confidentiality, as appropriate, of chapter Board issues and membership data.
- Be an Austin SHRM Chapter and SHRM National member in good standing during your term.
Benefits of Being an Austin SHRM Board Member
- The chance to make an impact and assist in the development of our chapter, our members and the HR profession.
- An opportunity to be recognized as a leader in the field of human resources.
- Hours spent as a volunteer leader can be counted toward re-certification hours.
- An opportunity to develop and enhance your current leadership capabilities.
- More importantly, the opportunity to network with peers and colleagues within the HR profession and within the business community!
2022-2023 Open Board Roles
The President Elect role serves three one-year terms (President-Elect, then President, then Past President). All other Board roles serve a two-year term.
We encourage you to read the job description to learn more about these leadership opportunities. You may also reach out directly to any of our current Austin SHRM Board of Directors.
- President-Elect 2023
- Co-VP of Career Development (two roles)
- VP of Certification
- VP of Communication
- Co-VP of Conference (one role)
- VP of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
How to Apply and Timeline
If you are interested in applying for one of the open Board roles, CLICK HERE and follow the application instructions. The deadline for application submission is September 12, 2022.
- Interested candidates for open Board roles must complete and submit the Board of Directors Interest Form by September 12, 2022.
- A Selection Committee comprised of current Austin SHRM Board members will be formed to contact and conduct interviews with candidates between September 12-16, 2022.
- The Selection Committee will make their recommendations to the Austin SHRM Board for review, comments and approval on September 20, 2022.
- The 2023 Proposed Slate of Officers will be presented to the full-body active Austin SHRM membership at the October 19, 2022 monthly meeting.
- Voting on the 2023 Proposed Slate of Officers will be conducted on November 16, 2022.
- The voting results of the 2023 Proposed Slate of Officers will be confirmed by the full-body active Austin SHRM membership and inducted during the December 14, 2022 monthly meeting.
*Dates are subject to change.
For questions or assistance, please contact Austin SHRM.
How can serving on the Austin SHRM Board impact you both professionally and personally?
Hear from both current and past board members:
"I came to Austin in January 2019 and quickly engaged with Austin SHRM. This group of friends and HR colleagues is amazing, and they quickly embraced me and welcomed me to my new town. I am so glad that I applied to be a member of the Board of Directors. I love being able to stay in tune with what is happening in the people management sphere and also being able to “give back” to my profession by serving my fellow HR peeps! Austin SHRM provides the best of both worlds, so-to-speak, with the benefits of being a large chapter, but also with the ability to get to know lots of people and grow your professional circle of confidants, advisors and great lifelong friends!"
- Brian Hayes, 2022 Past President
“Joining Austin SHRM has enabled me to build and grow my HR career by learning from the best local professionals. Whether I am making connections at a networking event, hearing insights from seasoned professionals at a panel session, or sharing my own thoughts at a roundtable discussion, I am confident that I chose the best local resource to improve my skills in HR. I have greatly appreciated the opportunities for growing within the diversity space and learn how much DEI can be interrelated within various functions of HR. I will continue to dedicate my time towards all HR efforts needed within our community."
- Kenyetta Smith, 2022 VP of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
“I’ve been serving on the Austin SHRM Board for almost three years, and it’s been nothing short of amazing. I found so much fulfillment being part of a group of individuals who made it their duty to serve and lead our Austin SHRM community. From all the uncertainty that came with the pandemic, to the emphasis around mental health, to now trying to normalize our resources and support efforts, the Board has remained constant. I would recommend to anyone who is looking to be a part of something bigger than themselves to consider joining the Austin SHRM Board of Directors; it may not always be easy, but our mission and vision our clear – we are on a path forward and would love others to assist us in reaching new and greater heights.”
- Maya Kelly, 2022 Co-VP of Conference
Austin SHRM Board Expectations
Austin SHRM Board of Directors represent the top leadership for the Austin SHRM.
Key duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Participate in monthly Board of Director meetings typically scheduled for the third Tuesday of each month, from 5:30-7:30 pm.
· Review and adhere to allocated budget on a monthly basis.
· Maintain current Austin SHRM membership for the duration of their term.
· Post Committee Reports on the Austin SHRM intranet monthly.
· Attend Austin SHRM Monthly Meetings and Events as available.
· Maintain confidentiality of Austin SHRM information.
· Agree to abide by and uphold Austin SHRM's By-Laws.
· Sign a Statement of Ethics and a Conflict of Interest Agreement and adhere to agreement.
· Agree to follow duties of their Board position description.
· Austin SHRM Board members not fulfilling their role or deliberately violating any of the By-Laws may be removed from their position.
· Although not required, it is recommended that Austin SHRM Board members participate in The Stepping Stones to Enhanced Leadership Program.
· Austin SHRM Board members are encouraged to maintain membership in the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) during their Board commitment. *President, Membership, & Certification roles are required to hold SHRM membership.