Austin SHRM Members
Want to make an impact in the HR profession and the Austin community?
Desire to grow personally and professionally?
Thank you for your interest in joining the Pinnacle Award-Winning Austin SHRM Board of Directors! We are an all-volunteer group of dynamic HR professionals who are passionate about giving back to the HR community. The combined experience of our current Board members represents over 100 years of experience, spanning across a broad spectrum of backgrounds and industries.
The President, President-Elect and Past President all serve consecutive one-year terms. All other Board members serve two-year terms. The average time commitment is 5-10 hours per month.
General Board Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend monthly Board meetings, typically held the third Tuesday of each month unless otherwise noted.
- Attend Austin SHRM monthly and/or quarterly meetings as required or available.
- Follow and abide by Austin SHRM bylaws, statement of ethics and conflict of interest agreements.
- Agree to follow the duties of your Board position as outlined in your Board position description.
- Be active stewards of the chapter’s fiscal responsibilities to its members.
- Be an active and engaged Board member. This includes being prepared for Board meetings, asking critical questions, and helping the Board come to agreement in making decisions that affect chapter membership.
- Know or build your knowledge about our chapter, SHRM, and its governing bylaws.
- Stay informed of trends in the field of human resources and timely issues affecting our chapter.
- Maintain confidentiality, as appropriate, of chapter Board issues and membership data.
- Be an Austin SHRM Chapter and SHRM National member in good standing during your term.
Benefits of Being an Austin SHRM Board Member
- The chance to make an impact and assist in the development of our chapter, our members and the HR profession.
- An opportunity to be recognized as a leader in the field of human resources.
- Hours spent as a volunteer leader can be counted toward re-certification hours.
- An opportunity to develop and enhance your current leadership capabilities.
- More importantly, the opportunity to network with peers and colleagues within the HR profession and within the business community!
2022-2023 Open Board Roles
The President Elect role serves three one-year terms (President-Elect, then President, then Past President). All other Board roles serve a two-year term.
We encourage you to read the job description to learn more about these leadership opportunities. You may also reach out directly to any of our current Austin SHRM Board of Directors.
- President-Elect 2023
- Co-VP of Career Development (two roles)
- VP of Certification
- VP of Communication
- Co-VP of Conference (one role)
- VP of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
How to Apply and Timeline
1. Interested candidates for open Board roles must complete and submit the Board of Directors Interest Form by September 2, 2022.
2. A Selection Committee comprised of current Austin SHRM Board members will be formed to contact and conduct interviews with candidates
between September 12-16, 2022.
3. The Selection Committee will make their recommendations to the Austin SHRM Board for review, comments and approval on September 20, 2022.
4. The 2023 Proposed Slate of Officers will be presented to the full-body active Austin SHRM membership at the October 19, 2022 monthly meeting.
5. Voting on the 2023 Proposed Slate of Officers will be conducted on November 16th, 2022.
6. The voting results of the 2023 Proposed Slate of Officers will be confirmed by the full-body active Austin SHRM membership and inducted during
the December 14, 2022 monthly meeting.
*Dates are subject to change.
For questions or assistance, please contact Austin SHRM.
How can serving on the Austin SHRM Board impact you both professionally and personally?
Hear from both current and past board members:
"Joining AHRMA has become one of the greatest decisions in my career. I am in sales and as a leader in my industry, I wanted to expand my network base. My decision to join was not to sell, but to create relationships. I have now been a part of Austin SHRM for over 7 years and within this time I have not only created working relationships, I have created lifelong friendships. Austin is a small city where you begin to know everyone, and I am proud that I have been able to not only volunteer as a member but it has been a huge honor to serve on the board.
When I joined, AHRMA accepted me with open arms. AHRMA has elevated my outtake on human resources and has expanded my knowledge base with like-minded individuals. It's a fun, energetic and enthusiastic organization and I promise you I will continue to serve our community because I believe in our organization and our beliefs. I dare you to join." - Odette Perez, 2021 Co-VP of Membership
"I would not be the HR professional that I am today without volunteer leadership opportunities. Not only do you create a network of friends and colleagues but you also build a different body of work that speaks to your ability to serve others. I've had the opportunity to become a mentor, an example and provide representation for those who may not have observed it before. I am very proud of the accomplishments I have been able to be a part of and lead as a part of my role on the AHRMA Board. I would recommend anyone who is looking for ways in which to grow themselves and touch others to look into what opportunities might await them as a part of AHRMA's Board of Directors. You won't be sorry." - Angela Shaw, 2020 Past President
"Serving on the AHRMA Board of Directors is a fantastic professional learning, growth, and leadership opportunity. As an AHRMA Board of Director, you learn more about the multifaceted roles of HR across a broad spectrum of positions and industries, engagement in an expansive HR Community, and collaborating with other HR Leaders that help shape, define, and elevate others in and around the HR Profession. Serving as an AHRMA Board of Director is also a valuable opportunity for learning more about governance and leadership that is not always possible within the confines of your role within the traditional workplace. All of these experiences will help advance your career as well as personal growth and development. This highly visible volunteer role offers new opportunities to expand your network which can be very beneficial in other areas of your life. Finally, serving on the AHRMA board offers you an opportunity to contribute to your community, 'Giving Back' by providing a positive influence for the lives of our members in a very palpable way." - Arlaine Decrevel, MBA, PHR, SHRM-CP, 2018 Austin SHRM President
Austin SHRM Board Expectations
Austin SHRM Board of Directors represent the top leadership for the Austin SHRM.
Key duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Participate in monthly Board of Director meetings typically scheduled for the third Tuesday of each month, from 5:30-7:30 pm.
· Review and adhere to allocated budget on a monthly basis.
· Maintain current Austin SHRM membership for the duration of their term.
· Post Committee Reports on the Austin SHRM intranet monthly.
· Attend Austin SHRM Monthly Meetings and Events as available.
· Maintain confidentiality of Austin SHRM information.
· Agree to abide by and uphold Austin SHRM's By-Laws.
· Sign a Statement of Ethics and a Conflict of Interest Agreement and adhere to agreement.
· Agree to follow duties of their Board position description.
· Austin SHRM Board members not fulfilling their role or deliberately violating any of the By-Laws may be removed from their position.
· Although not required, it is recommended that Austin SHRM Board members participate in The Stepping Stones to Enhanced Leadership Program.
· Austin SHRM Board members are encouraged to maintain membership in the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) during their Board commitment. *President, Membership, & Certification roles are required to hold SHRM membership.