The Legal and Legislative Committee
Click here to view the Presentation Slides from Legal Presentation, Legal Considerations for Return to Work, on 05.13.2020.
*Update* This week the EEOC updated its COVID-19 guidance to incorporate information from other agency resources and modify existing Q&As to be more user-friendly. The result is a comprehensive guide that addresses common questions about COVID-19 and federal equal employment opportunity laws for employers, advocates, and workers. You can view the document here.
The Legal and Legislative Affairs Committee provides services to keep Austin SHRM members informed of the status of key legal issues that affect the human resource management field. These include the following:
- Legislative Action Day, offering a meeting of legal sessions featuring local attorneys;
- Legal updates during the monthly lunch meetings;
- Trips to the Capitol to discuss legislation of interest to HR with legislators;
- Blogging participation by local attorneys.
The Legal and Legislative Affairs Committee also works with the Texas SHRM to ensure that the views and concerns of Austin SHRM members are well represented in Congress and the media.
- Legislative Action Day - Legislative Action Day is a meeting of sessions organized around legal issues and legislative affairs featuring local attorneys informing, promoting, and supporting relevant HR issues. This includes coordinating potential presenters, publicity announcements, speaker hosts, and meeting day coordinators for Round Table Topics, Legislative Action Day, Austin SHRM monthly meeting sessions, and other events.
- Legal and Legislative Affairs - Researches and contacts potential presenters for Round Table Topics, Legislative Action Day, Austin SHRM monthly meeting sessions, and other events. Coordinates publicity announcements, speaker hosts, and meeting day coordinators.
- Legislative Forum - Creates submissions to the BLOG about new and/or changing legislation.
- Legal Updates - Attorney Members present legal updates at every monthly meeting. Topics are presented during the general session of every meeting.
- Social Media Updates - LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook updates on all legal and legislative topics. A great remote Volunteer opportunity.