Place of Business:
City Of Austin
The Employment Services Division oversees several areas including executive recruitment, citywide job posting, development and execution of recruitment strategies and initiatives, social media recruitment outreach, criminal background checks, employment satellite offices that provide job search assistance, pre-employment assessments, job fair event planning and execution, coordination of reassigned employees during emergency and disaster activations, unemployment insurance claims response, complex hiring data analysis, and contract management. The Human Resources Supervisor will be assigned to supervise some of these areas and be expected to cross train in the areas they are not assigned. The Human Resources Supervisor will also be expected to be a working supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under limited direction, supervise the daily operations and activities of specialized Human Resource (HR) professionals in support of management and other employee groups within the assigned department on a broad range of HR issues and decisions.
1. Collaborates with and serves as strategic partner to senior leaders and management on HR programmatic analysis, with the achievement of objectives and in resolution of complex HR-related issues providing direct operational oversight, advice, and analytical support within the assigned department.
2. Partners with and supports senior leader(s) to implement enhancements, to improve policies and procedures, and to provide solutions and recommendations for practice and process improvements as well as operational efficiency and service quality.
3. Participates in the preparation and monitoring of budget and contracts/contractors and implementation of the departmental budget; and recommends and justifies capital expenditures.
4. Serves as a subject matter expert providing guidance and monitoring compliance with applicable systems, policies, procedures, strategies, process workflows, and regulations, and monitors compliance with policies, regulations, laws, and program objectives.
5. Serves as a liaison and advisor within their department and between the Human Resources Department and other City departments, agencies, and other external organizations, groups, and representatives.
6. Supervises implementation and administration on assigned project or process; assigns projects, sets schedules, and monitors task completion for timeliness, accuracy, and effectiveness; performs quality checks of program-related data and personnel; prepares and reviews reports to monitor and communicate performance results; and directs HR team in implementation of agreed upon actions until the problem has been resolved.
7. Investigates and responds to complaints from managers and employees and makes recommendations.
8. Monitors program, departmental, Local, and national trends; identifies training needs and solutions; works cross-departmentally to create best practices; conducts research to support new policy and procedure development; and develops and implements standard operating practice, policy, and procedure, as necessary.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of HR and departmental processes, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge of assigned HR functional areas.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, and industry trends related to coaching, program administration, management, and leadership development.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing personnel and employment practices.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, procedures, statutes, and ordinances.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to maintain up-to-date knowledge/education as it relates to HR, the operations of the City, and/or its departments.
- Ability to understand key, cross-functional business issues to resolve issues through conflict management and coaching.
- Ability to analyze HR business needs and develop short- and long-range plans.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with City employees and the public.
1. Experience with full cycle recruiting and/or staffing including executive-level recruiting.
2. Experience with working with applicant tracking systems
3. Experience leading, collaborating on and executing HR programs, projects, and processes.
4. Experience with emergency response for disasters.
5. Experience preparing and writing reports, memos, procedures and presentations.
6. Experience with criminal background investigations
7. Experience with HR data analysis
8. Experience with unemployment claims response
9. Experience with contract management
Graduation with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to job, plus five (5) years of related HR experience, including one (1) year of experience which was in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Valid Texas Class C Driver's License
Click here to apply.